This post was written by one of the candidates for authorship in the Lifehacker Dmitry Kashcheev. Only on how much you like the material, it depends whether he will write to our blog. Express your gratitude by clicking on one or more social sharing buttons or by writing your thoughts in the comments.
The universally recognized view says that the study of two foreign languages inevitably leads to confusion and the emergence of “porridge” in the head, but according to their own experience and the experience of many professional philologists, it can be confidently said that this is not so.
In order to effectively teach two foreign languages at once, the following conditions must be observed:
1. At least one of the studied languages should be not lower than the average level of possession. You can learn both languages from scratch, but in this case the task becomes more complicated, and the method loses its effectiveness. It is better to first learn one language to an average level, and then move on to the next point.
2. To use reference materials for translation from language # 1 to language # 2 or simply explanatory dictionaries without translation with an expanded explanation. Any educational and methodical materials, books, podcasts and so on are great here.
3. Divide the entire study time into fast and slow phases. During the fast phase, try to minimize the use of your native language. Dive headlong into the language you are studying. If you are learning the “English-Chinese” bundle – forget about the Russian-speaking segment of the Internet at all. Read the English resources, study the methods of learning the Chinese language, offered by English-speaking authors. You will quickly notice how English will gradually become more native to you than before. Many phrases, stable expressions you can remember quietly, without any “memorization”, just after meeting them again in the text. During the slow phase – continue studying according to the scheme described above, just do it not so intensely. Otherwise, there may be a situation where the very process of learning the language will be disgusting to you, and this will inevitably lead to a loss of motivation and the development of depression. After all, we easily and simply do only what brings us joy and pleasure.
4. Forget the stereotype that it is best to learn simultaneously the languages of one group, for example Germanic or Romance. The most important thing is to learn those languages that are interesting. Only in this case it is possible to keep the “fuse” in order to reach an acceptable level.
5. Take foreign language studies from half an hour (during the slow phase) to 3-4 hours per day (fast phase). This condition must be met both on weekdays and on weekends.
It should be noted that the movement will occur spasmodically. This is normal. The goal of the fast phase is a quick set of vocabulary, vocabulary expansion. While the slow phase serves to consolidate the acquired material and prepare for the next “jump”.
This method allows you to not only learn two languages at once, but also keep them in mind, not letting anybody forget.
And what tricks do you use to learn two languages at once?