Causes, because of which the keyboard may not work, a lot. The most popular of them: incorrect connection, discharged batteries, software failure, spilled liquid and, finally, breakdown of internal components of the computer or the keyboard itself.
If the latter option is an occasion for repair or replacement of the keyboard, then other problems can usually be solved independently. Let’s see what you can do.
If the keyboard gets wet, dry it and then try to connect it to the computer. If a soup or other liquid gets on the keys, which can clog them, clean the device.
If only the block with additional numeric keys does not work, press the num lock key (or Fn + Num Lock for some laptops). Perhaps earlier you accidentally touched this key, and it turns on and off the numbers. Sometimes it happens.
If all keys do not work, restart the computer to start. If this helps, then the problem is in a banal software malfunction. In case of failure, proceed to further instructions.
What to do if the wired keyboard does not work
1. If the keyboard has a power button, make sure it is turned on.
2. Disconnect all other USB devices from the computer and try to connect the keyboard through different ports. Make sure you insert the cable to the end.
3. If you have Windows, reinstall the keyboard driver in the “Device Manager”. To get into it, go to the “Start” → “Settings” → “Bluetooth and other devices” → “Device Manager”. In the list that opens, find your keyboard, right-click on it and select “Delete Device”. After the computer restarts, the keyboard driver installs automatically.
4. Windows users will also be able to check the system for malware. To do this, scan it with antivirus software. If it is not installed, download it from the Internet using a spare physical or on-screen keyboard.
What to do if the wireless keyboard does not work
1. Check the batteries. You may have incorrectly inserted batteries into the keyboard or they have become unusable. If the keyboard is powered by the built-in battery, make sure it is charged.
2. Update the wireless connection. To do this, turn off the keyboard and the receiver, if any, using the power buttons. Then, disconnect it from the computer. Turn off other wireless devices if they are nearby. Reconnect the receiver to the computer. First turn on the receiver, and then the keyboard.
If a Bluetooth module is built-in to the computer, make sure it is turned on and in visibility mode.
The procedure for connecting wireless keypads may vary depending on the model of the device. Just in case, check with the official instructions in the documentation or on the manufacturer’s website.
3. If you have Windows, reinstall the keyboard driver and check the system for viruses. Read more about this in the paragraph on wired keyboards.
What to do if the laptop keyboard does not work (built-in)
1. Make sure that the laptop battery is not dead. Sometimes, even if the laptop is turned on, if the battery level is low, the keys may not work. Just in case connect the laptop to the mains.
2. If you have Windows, reinstall the keyboard driver and check the system for viruses. More about this Lifkhaker wrote in the paragraph on wired keyboards.
If nothing helped, check the keyboard by connecting it to another computer. If it does not work, then, most likely, it is broken. In this case, take it to the repair or try to take it to the store for warranty.
- How to clean your computer from advertising, remove garbage and speed up Windows →
- How to connect your computer to your TV →
- What to do if the computer does not see the internal hard drive →