To decide how much is best to get up, you need to take into account your daily routine and responsibilities (work, study, family, hobbies, trips). For example, it will be very difficult for you to get up at five in the morning, if you work at night or late at night, sitting behind textbooks.
When you have decided on the time, pay attention to the following four points:
1. Goals and attitude to life.
2. Evening ritual.
3. Quality of sleep.
4. Awakening and morning ritual.
They will help you to get up without difficulty in the morning. Let’s consider each item separately.
1. Goals and attitude to life
You have to be prepared, that first you have to sacrifice a lot. For a while you will have to give up parties. Until the body is rebuilt, you will become more tired, and your productivity may fall. To cope with this was easier, you need to have clear goals.
Why is it so important?
- First, the goals motivate us. They help you get out of bed when you want to take another nap.
- Secondly, the goals determine our actions. Each goal should have a certain system of actions, which we will achieve the desired result.
- Goal: to lose weight by 5 kilograms by April 1, 2017.
- System of actions: consume less than 2,000 calories per day (do not eat sweet and fast food) and play sports: cardiovascular twice a week (running or swimming), weightlifting twice a week and stretching yoga.
Identify three main goals for the next year and for each write a system of actions.
2. Evening ritual
To wake up in the morning easily and comfortably, you need to prepare in advance from the evening. Here are some tips.
Do not use electronic devices before bedtime.
Light from the screens of smartphones, tablets and computers is bad for the quality of sleep and the speed of falling asleep. Therefore, 1-2 hours before you go to bed, turn off all devices.
Prepare for tomorrow in advance
Determine the plans for the next day from the evening, so that in the morning do not waste time and energy on it. Decide what to do, what to wear, what to cook.
Rate the last day
Time flies imperceptibly, and if you do not stop and think about the most important things, you can miss a lot. Therefore, in the evening, evaluate what you did for the day, for which you are grateful that you were pleased.
Now everyone has such a busy schedule that it’s very difficult to allocate time for reading. But if you turn off all electronic devices for a couple of hours before sleep, you probably will have at least 30 minutes for a good book.
3. Quality of sleep
Usually we do not think about what affects the quality of our sleep, and how we can improve it. But always remember the following factors.
- Beverages. Do not drink coffee and alcohol at least six hours before bedtime, otherwise you will not sleep well. It is better to drink green tea or water.
- Food. Do not gorge on before going to sleep. It loads the digestive system and also affects the quality of sleep. Have a snack with something light, like nuts or a glass of milk.
- Doing sports. Do not exercise at least three hours before bedtime, otherwise it will be hard for you to fall asleep. You better postpone the workout in the morning.
- Suitable conditions. Buy a quality mattress and pillows. It is advisable to sleep in the dark and quiet, and keep the temperature not too high.
- Mode. Go to bed at the same time. Of course, at first it will be given with difficulty. While the body will work in the old rhythm, it is better to go to bed when you are tired. In a few days you will enter the new regime.
- Time to sleep. Determine for yourself the ideal time to fall asleep and wake up. Overnight, several cycles of sleep are replaced, consisting of alternating phases of fast and slow sleep. The full cycle lasts about 90 minutes (1.5 hours). To be vigorous, you need to wake up when the cycle is completed – in an hour and a half, three, four and a half, six, and so on. Of course, you will not be able to immediately determine the appropriate time for your sleep with an accuracy of a minute, but you will certainly find the best option.
4. Awakening and the morning ritual
There are two approaches that will help you get up early. Choose the one that suits you best.
- Method of immersion. You get up immediately at the scheduled time and try to maintain the new mode. This approach is more difficult, because from such a sharp change you will get tired more. In that case, you can take a nap 20-30 minutes in the afternoon.
- The method of gradual addiction. This approach is more effective, because you change the time of awakening gradually. It is best to shift it for 10-15 minutes for 1-3 days, until you get used to it, and then push it again. For example, if you usually get up at eight, do not try to immediately get up at six in the morning. First, set the alarm at 7:45. A few days stand up at this time, and then change the alarm at 7:30. Yes, this approach will take more time, but the body will be easier to adjust.
When you decide on a convenient approach for you, try to follow the following recommendations:
- Do not put a melody on the alarm clock, which causes irritation. Find a song with a slow introduction, which causes you positive emotions (of course, after a while this song can start to anger you). Do not leave the alarm clock next to the bed for the first few weeks. Then you have to get up and turn it off.
- Report back to someone. Surely one of your friends gets up early, try to ask them to support you. Agree that you will call or write to them 10-15 minutes after waking up.
- Turn the responsibility into a game. Hang a calendar on a prominent place and mark the days in which you managed to get up early. In a few days you will have a chain of crosses before your eyes that will only grow in time, and you will not want to interrupt it. This trick will help to keep the motivation.
- Do something immediately after awakening. This will lead you out of a sleepy state. Even simple actions such as drinking a glass of water, washing, refilling the bed will work. Open the window and ventilate the room. In any case, do not read the news, do not go to social networks and do not check e-mail. This you will have time to do later, and the morning is dedicated only to yourself.
- In the morning, do something nice. Cook your favorite coffee, sit with a book or have a quiet breakfast.
What else should I do in the morning?
Of course, this is individual, but here are a few suggestions:
- Think over your goals and assess progress.
- Go in for sports.
- Do creativity.
- Spend time with loved ones.
Sometimes you may not wake up early, but do not get upset about it. Rejoice that you have slept longer, and then do the usual things. And tomorrow, put more effort.
Frequently asked Questions
But what about the weekend?
It all depends on you. But when you’re just trying to get yourself used to getting up early, it’s better not to get out of the new regime and on weekends. When you are already confident in your abilities, you can also pamper yourself by sleeping for a little longer.
How many consecutive days can I get up later?
When you are just starting to train yourself to a new routine, do not miss more than 1-2 days, otherwise it will be very difficult for you to return to early ascents. If you get up early for more than a month, skipping 2-3 days will not be so scary.
How to be on the journey?
Do not be too hard on yourself. Try to stick to the regime. If you can not, just do your things as planned.
What if my friends call me to the party?
Perfectly. Have fun and do not try to wake up at the same time as usual. Get fit, and tomorrow, go back to the routine.
To get used to getting up early, you need time. Start small, and you will succeed.
- 1 1. Goals and attitude to life
- 2 2. Evening ritual
- 3 3. Quality of sleep
- 4 4. Awakening and the morning ritual
- 5 Frequently asked Questions