Emoticons so firmly entered our life that without them the alphabet looks incomplete, and the messages seem dry and detached. But even in such a frivolous and childishly simple matter, as the arrangement of emoji, there are subtleties.
What do the different smileys mean?
With emoticons-objects everything is simple: they mean what they depict. A ball is a ball, an alarm clock is an alarm clock, and there’s nothing to think about. But with the face smiles, the task becomes more complicated. We are not always able to correctly guess the emotions on the faces of living people, what can we say about the physiognomy of the koloboks. There are emoticons, the meaning of which is obvious:
– fun, laughter, joy, rejoicing.
– sadness, sadness, anguish, discontent.
– playful mood, teasing.
– surprise, amazement, shock, fear.
– Anger, resentment, fury.
and several other such – all possible variants of families and romantic unions.
But there are among the emoticons and those, the meaning of which can be interpreted ambiguously, and even completely put in a dead end:
– this smile depicts a sobbing in three – well, in two – a person’s stream, but in the version for Apple devices because of raised eyebrows and not distorted from sobbing mouth, he is often perceived as laughing to tears. Accurate with it: you want to denote them grief, and you will be misunderstood.
– on the idea this smile should be silent. Instead, he just scares to death.
– if with a spiteful dick all more or less clearly (“angry as hell”), the merry demon puzzles a little. Most likely, he is not only furious, but also anticipates how to dance on your opponent’s grave. And you, perhaps, just wanted to show originality and send a smile with an unusual smile.
– in spite of the fact that the three wise monkeys saw nothing, did not hear and did not speak precisely because of their wisdom, these muzzles close their eyes, mouth and ears with shame, confusion and shock.
– a set of cat smiles for those who think ordinary koloboks are not expressive enough and wants to add emotion to their emotions.
– instead of “hello” and “bye” you can wave your hand.
– raised hands, gesture of joyful greeting or glee.
– applause both sincere and sarcastic.
– if in this picture you see the hands folded in a prayerful gesture, then for you emoji can mean “thank you” or “I beg.” Well, if you see here a “give five!”, Then you are a very cheerful person.
– a raised index finger can emphasize the importance of the message or express a request to interrupt the interlocutor question, or maybe just point to the previous message in the chat.
– crossed fingers for luck.
– for someone it’s a “stop,” and for someone “give five!”.
– No, this is not a truffle. Not even a truffle.
– ogre and the Japanese goblin. It seems that someone does not have enough of the usual devils.
– a liar. His nose grows, like Pinocchio, every time he lies.
– this is widely and staring with amazement eyes, and the running eyes of the crook, and even a lascivious look. If someone sends you such a smiley in the comments to the photo, you can be sure that the photo is good.
– and this is just an eye, and he is watching you.
– A young moon and a full moon. It seems to be nothing special, but these smiles have their fans who value them for eerie expressions of faces.
– a very common girl in purple. Her gestures mean OK (arms above the head), “no” (crossed arms), “hello” or “I know the answer” (hand raised up). This character has another pose that puzzles many – . According to the official version, it symbolizes the help desk worker. Apparently, she shows her hand how to get to the city library.
– you also see here two strained faces, presumably unfriendly? But they did not guess: according to the version of Apple’s tips, this is an embarrassed face and a stubborn face. Who would have thought!
By the way, you can see hints for emoticons in the message window on macOS, if you open the emoto and move the cursor over the smile you are interested in. Like this:
Another way to find out the meaning of a smile is to contact the emojipedia.org website for help. On it you will find not only detailed interpretations of emoticons, but you can also see how the same smile looks on different platforms. You will find many unexpected discoveries.
Where appropriate smileys
1. In informal friendly correspondence
Funny yellow faces are appropriate in a personal chat room, where you share not so much information as the mood. With the help of emoticons you will laugh at the joke, sympathize, build faces to each other. Here the emotions are the place.
2. When emotions splash over the edge and not enough words
Sometimes, when something very important happens in our life, feelings overwhelm us so much that we are about to burst. Then we write an emotional post in Facebook or lay out a dazzling photo in Instagram and decorate it with a generous scattering of smiles. Someone will not like this, of course, but what now, to strangle all the vivid feelings in yourself? The main thing is not to abuse such a public manifestation of violent emotions: this will alienate subscribers and cast doubt on your adequacy.
3. By agreement to mark a message in a working correspondence
This is a very simple and convenient way to make visible important messages that require urgent reaction. For example, is great for these purposes. But you need to agree in advance what cases in your company are considered urgent and what kind of smile you will use for this.
It’s important not to overdo it: if you have one smiley for messages about emergency situations, the second for urgent questions, the third for important news, then soon all the working correspondence will turn into a New Year’s garland that no one looks at.
When it’s better to do without emoticons
1. In business correspondence
Work is not a place for emotions. Here you need calmness, concentration and professionalism. Even if you want to emphasize your goodwill or express your concern about the situation, use words for these purposes, not smiles.
2. When communicating with foreigners
Especially it concerns smiley gestures. For example, , which you wanted to express approval, will put an end to your good relationship with a person from Greece or Thailand. Why, you sent him to hell with that gesture.
Therefore, if you are not sure of your deep knowledge of the features of the national culture of your interlocutor, do not take risks.
3. Strangely enough, when you discuss feelings and emotions
Feelings are a serious matter. If you do not just chatter, but open your soul or share something important, the words will convey your feelings and experiences much more accurately than the smiles. “You are dearer to me than anyone in the world” means much more than ten hearts in a row. In the end, you have only one heart, you give it to him.
Remember that smilies are a seasoning, not the main ingredient. To give expressiveness to your message, they need very little.
Judging by the fact that today almost no personal correspondence is possible without smiles, one can safely say that emoji became an independent section of the language. Sometimes they even pretend to replace their language: you can write a whole message, using only emoticons. In the popular American television show Ellen Degeneres there is even a special rubric in which guests are invited to read a phrase where a part of the words is replaced by emoji:
And here the name of the film that we suggest you to guess is encrypted:
Send your options in the comments.
- 1 What do the different smileys mean?
- 2 Where appropriate smileys
- 3 When it’s better to do without emoticons
- 4 Emoji language