1. In a stuck elevator you can sit indefinitely
Fact: in the “Regulation on the system of preventive maintenance of elevators” states that the emergency services are performed during the interval of time agreed with the owner-owner of the elevator. At the same time, the passenger’s release time should not exceed 30 minutesRegulations on the system of preventive maintenance of elevators. .
In theory, in an elevator, you can not get stuck for more than half an hour. But in practice, there are different cases. There is a story about a Chinese woman who died in an elevator. On January 30, the mechanics turned off the elevator, and a month later they took a dead body out of it. However, the probability of a quick arrival of rescuers is still much higher.
In most cases, the length of time in the elevator is determined by the human factor. This may be staff negligence or objective problems. For example, a mechanic works on the site, who simultaneously receives a call from several houses.
2. If you jump in an elevator, it will fall
Fact: the lift holds a lot of metal cables. Everyone can withstand more weight than a car. Therefore even the overloaded elevator will not fall.
3. The elevator doors can open between floors
Fact: elevator is designed in such a way that it opens as a result of the interaction of the inner door with the external stationary door. It will not be possible to open the doors independently in the wrong place.
Fact: if you are stuck in an elevator, you can help yourself only in one way: calm down and contact the dispatcher. After that, relax and have fun, because the universe gave you a few minutes of free time.
If communication with the dispatcher is not established, the mobile phone will help you. If an emergency telephone is written in the elevator, call it. If not, contact your relatives.
If the phone does not catch, put more air in the lungs and loudly scream. People outside can hear you and help you.
Do not try to get out of the elevator by yourself – it’s deadly dangerous.
5. If the elevator is stuck between floors, it may fall
Fact: from the place where the elevator is stuck, the probability of its falling does not increase, because there is no connection between the technical malfunction and the strength of the metal cable.
6. If the cable has torn, the elevator drop is inevitable
Fact: even if for some reason the cable breaks, there is a speed limiter in the elevator that activates the brakes when the elevator starts moving too fast.
7. The elevator doors, if left out, always close automatically
Fact: in many freight elevators there is a metal door between the doors. Lifting the lever over it and sliding the leaf, you lock the elevator in the open position.
In addition, the “Cancel” button can open the elevator doors. To keep the doors from closing, it should be held for 8 to 15 seconds (depending on the model of the elevator). Therefore, when you bring a lot of things into the cabin, it is not necessary to prop up the door with your foot.
Also modern elevators are equipped with optical interference sensors. Having sealed the sensor with an adhesive tape, you prevent the doors from closing.
8. It is possible to prevent the closing of doors by inserting between them some object
Fact: for the opening of doors, there is a special interference sensor, which is equipped with an elevator. This thing is reliable, but theoretically it can break. Then no object will help prevent closing the doors.
Fact: firstly, the button itself does not increase the speed of closing the doors, but only closes the moment of closing them. Secondly, in many elevators, you can speed up the closing of doors by clicking on the floor button to which you are going. Thirdly, in many elevators, this button can be activated only in emergency situations.
10. Most accidents in the elevator are due to the fall of the cabin
Fact: The first ever case of death due to the fall of the elevator happened only in 2012 in ThailandElevator safety. .
People die in elevators for other reasons: a failing floor, an attempt to get out of the stalled elevator themselves, the need of a person stuck in the elevator in emergency medical care.
The expired service life can cause a malfunction of the doors, the readiness of the elevator to go with the doors open, the fire of the inner lining of the elevator due to a short circuit. The elevator requires constant inspections and lubrication of safety components. One worker has to service more than 100 elevators a month.
11. You can get out of the elevator through the escape hatch
Fact: In most cases, emergency hatches are bolted. And do not need to do this: whatever happens with the elevator, passengers are the safest thing to stay inside.
12. If you jump in a falling elevator at the time of contact with the ground, you can survive
Fact: a person is not able to jump at such a speed that is needed to compensate for the rate of fall. In addition, it is impossible to know the moment of landing. Increase the chances of survival can be, hanging on the handrails (if any). It is also recommended to lie down on the floor, spreading the body weight as widely as possible.
13. You can suffocate in the elevator
Fact: in the elevators there is ventilation. In addition, the boxes of old elevators are leaky, they have a lot of slots that provide additional airflow.
14. Lifts are dangerous
Fact: according to statistics, the elevator is the safest mode of transport.
- 1 1. In a stuck elevator you can sit indefinitely
- 2 2. If you jump in an elevator, it will fall
- 3 3. The elevator doors can open between floors
- 4 4. If the elevator is stuck, you should jump, beat on the walls, click on all the buttons
- 5 5. If the elevator is stuck between floors, it may fall
- 6 6. If the cable has torn, the elevator drop is inevitable
- 7 7. The elevator doors, if left out, always close automatically
- 8 8. It is possible to prevent the closing of doors by inserting between them some object
- 9 9. In elevators with an absent button for accelerated closing of doors, one should be content with the standard speed
- 10 10. Most accidents in the elevator are due to the fall of the cabin
- 11 11. You can get out of the elevator through the escape hatch
- 12 12. If you jump in a falling elevator at the time of contact with the ground, you can survive
- 13 13. You can suffocate in the elevator
- 14 14. Lifts are dangerous